...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Don't Know Anything

"The Thinker" by Rodin
I remember being young and confident and self-assured and certain that my generation could change the world.

I remember being convinced that justice would win out in the end and that making the right choices would be rewarded and that honesty would triumph.

I remember believing that good actions would be acknowledged and that teaching children the right thing when they were young would guarantee their success and that eating well, juicing, and not being immunized would keep us from getting sick.

I used to know a lot more than I do now.

Now? Now, I don' know anything.

I have watched young people who have been taught about covenant marriage their whole life, who have avoided the dating trap, who have had lovely, God-glorifying weddings, and who have in a very short time abandoned their spouse, their families, and their God.

I have seen men take their family to church, homeschool their children, and tell others about the Lord and who have then abandoned their wives and children for a younger woman.

I have observed Christians double-deal in business and been successful while men who have stood by principles and dealt honestly but have lost everything.

There are so many things I don't understand!
There are so many things I don't know.
In fact, I. Don't. Know. Anything.

Except this:
"I know that the Lord is great, 
and that our Lord is above all gods."
Ps. 135:5

And this:
"...one thing I do know, that, 
whereas I was blind, now I see."
John 9:25

I also know this:
"I know that my Redeemer lives, 
and at the last He will take His stand on the earth."
Job 19:25

Additionally, there is this:
"I know whom I have believed and I am convinced
that He is able to guard what I have entrusted
to Him until that day."
II Tim. 1:12

So maybe I know something after all.
Maybe in the end, what has really happened is that all the temporary, fleshy bits of non-eternal, which is where I had expected to see the results, were just the moanings and groanings of a world gone terribly wrong.
But it was never about the results.
It was never about what I could see with my temporal eyes.

My confidence should never have been in anything but God.

And from now on, this is my pledge:
I am determined to know nothing among you
except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified."
I Cor. 2:2

No comments:

Post a Comment