...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Continual Feasting

All the days of the afflicted are bad, 
But a cheerful heart has a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:15

I love good food.

I enjoy making good food and I enjoy eating good food.  And I LOVE making a great meal for my family and friends and having them love it and feel loved and cared for at my table.

Sometimes though, the food becomes the issue.  Or the centerpiece and decorations take over.  Or having just the right theme for the evening.  Or making everything match. Or... , or.... , or.....

So many things can become important, but the most important thing....  Well, it might get forgotten.

I was reminded of that this evening as I sat around my table with my family.  Our "feast" was pancakes and bacon. Let's just say the pictures of the evening did not belong in a magazine.

There was a hodge podge of different plates (and please don't tell anyone, but some were even plastic.)  The table had not been set so someone was always asking for something:

"Can you get me a fork?"
"Would you pour me some milk?"
"Is there any more syrup?"

It was a simple, easy, basic dinner (and as I say that I feel the need to reassure you that, yes, I do know pancakes are traditionally served as breakfast, but another of our oddities- we prefer them for dinner.) Yes, there was nothing special. And it was a feast.

Not because of the menu.

Not because of the dinnerware.

Not because of the fancy centerpiece.

No.

It was a feast because we were there. Together. And no napkins were in laps. And there were most definitely elbows on the table. And we laughed with each other- and okay, sometimes at each other. And we played.   And wrestled- at the table- please don't tell my Mother!  We talked with our mouths full and told stories on top of each other.  And enjoyed each other's presence. 

And I wouldn't have traded it for steak or caviar or lobster or the best restaurant in town.  

It. Was. A. Feast.



All the days of the afflicted are bad, 
But a cheerful heart has a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:15


No comments:

Post a Comment