...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Right Word at the Right Time

Choices.

Sometimes having choices is good and sometimes having choices is difficult.

Have you found yourself, standing at the counter at the coffee shop, looking at all your options on the board, from size, to flavoring, to level of caffinitization (yes, I just made up that word), to amounts of sugar or fat, to how cold or hot, and just found yourself overwhelmed?  No?  Well, I have.

Right now, our family is facing some choices that are confusing. It seems to be a place God has purposefully put us rather often in the last year or so. He is our Rock, and He is stable, but all around us is changing and illusionary. It is a spot where I have learned, slowly.... steadily... and with more than one misstep, to rely on NOTHING.

Nothing, except God.

And yet.
Even with having learned that lesson over, and over, and over again, I found myself at the beginning of this week, facing choices and feeling, within those choices, un-rest. A lack of contentment. A feeling of dis-ease.

Every choice has risks and reward. Most of them could offer some financial relief, which would be welcome. All of them could evaporate like a vapor if God allows that.

I needed to hear from God.
And surprisingly, (ahem, yes the fact that I was surprised showed a lack of faith) He answered.

This was Just. The. Right. Word.
My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation. My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken. My soul waits in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken. Trust in Him at all times, O people, pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.                                                         ~Psalm 62:1,2,5,6,8

Not a mention of:

  • circumstances
  • money 
  • provision
  • happy relationships
  • working technology
  • reasonable schedule
  • settled issues
  • lack of conflict (in fact these verses are set right in the middle of descriptions of MAJOR conflict!)

None of it. None of that is the stuff that makes the Psalmist secure.
It is all God. He is what brings stability, contentment, rest, inner peace, safety, security.

Edinburgh Castle
Doesn't it look secure? But it could provide just a fraction of the
security and protection we have from our Stronghold!
Because He is:

  • my Hope
  • my Rock
  • my Salvation
  • my Stronghold
  • my Glory 
  • my Refuge

Psalm 62: the right Word for just the right moment.

Has He given you just the right Word for just the right moment lately? I would love to hear about it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment