...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shhhhhhh!

I saw a great sign this weekend:


Wow. Both those words ARE spelled with the same, exact letters.

Coincidence? I think not!

In order to LISTEN I have to be SILENT.

My problem is that I like to solve problems.
I want to make things better.
I want to intervene before the mistake.
I want to divert catastrophe.
I want to share my hard learned lessons.
I want to make other people's lives easier.

If people (and by people, I mean my people- the ones who are stuck with me by blood relation!) would just listen to me, I could help them and fix them and make everything better!

But the reality is, when I have something difficult in my life, what I long for is a hug from someone who cares enough about me to take the time to LISTEN to me. The last thing I want is a bunch of fix-it information from a well meaning know-it-all.

So why do I think the people in my life would want anything different?

God knows our hearts and what we need. And what we need to NOT do. That is why He said:
"Let EVERYONE by quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" Jms. 1:19
Which, in my vernacular, would be God saying, "Shut up and listen!"

So to all my "people"- I am sorry.
I am sorry I talk too much.
I am sorry I listen too little.
I am sorry I rush in with advice.

I am sorry that I don't take the time to listen and pray before I say ANYTHING.

Winston Churchill said:
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."

So here is to having the courage to sit down and listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment