...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thoughts Whitney Made Me Think

This is Whitney Houston.
She is gorgeous.
She can sing like the angels.
She has a range that most can not touch.
She is tall and slim.
She is an award winning artist.
She has made millions of dollars.
She has succeeded in multiple musical genres.
She has succeeded in music and film.
She is famous the world over.
On last Friday, Feb. 10th, 2012, she was 48 years old.
This is me.
I am average looking.
I can sing with great gusto if not perfect pitch.
I have a range of about 7 notes.
I am short.
The last time I won an award was in Camp Fire Girls when I was 10.
I have made very little money.
I have not succeeded in music, movies, books, or any other industry.
My family and friends know me.
On last Friday, Feb. 10th, 2012, I was 48 years old.


I always admired Whitney Houston. She had more talent with one vocal cord tied behind her back than any other singer I have ever heard. And for the first few years of her career she seemed to maintain a down-to-earth, girl next door attitude that gave me the hope that she could survive super stardom. But, unfortunately, that was not to be her story.

When I heard that she had died yesterday, I felt true sorrow.
Such talent.
So much waste.

She and I had very little in common, except our age.

But I think seeing that we were the same age brought me up a little short. How could a woman who was my age, who enjoyed so many privileges, who had unlimited potential, who had obtained amazing achievements.....how could she have been so miserable the last few years?

Maybe the things I wish I had more of, like money and talent and opportunity and travel and pretty clothes and, and, and.....the things I think would make my life "easier".....or that would make me "happier".....maybe none of those things really matter at all.

They really don't seem to make ANYBODY happy.
They really don't scratch the itch.
They really don't fill the empty places.
They really don't make life easier.

I think my wish should not be to have a better singing voice or to make millions or dollars or to grow taller.

Instead, I think this all has made me think deeper and understand better the Apostle Paul when he wrote to the Philippians:
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.      ~Philippians 4:11-13

I am truly sorry that Whitney Houston died. But I am grateful today for the thoughts her life has made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment