...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Friday, March 23, 2012

What is YOUR Value?

There I was. Sitting at a friend's living room for a Bible Study. Gazing out the large picture window. Focusing on nothing in particular. Lost in my own thoughts.

I was there to be involved in a Bible Study.
I should have been paying attention.
I should have been listening.
I should have been taking notes.

But, quite frankly, I had some things on my mind. Some concerns. Some quandaries. Some problems that weren't easily solved.

And so instead of paying attention to the Bible Study, I started looking out the window, lost in the maze of my thoughts.

And then I saw it:












There, laying on the deck, was a small, brown, dead bird.

No one in the room had even noticed.  Nor was it likely that anyone ever would. Because it was such a small, inconsequential occurrence. The death of one, small sparrow makes no difference and can occur without anyone marking it ever happening.

Funny, though.
That moment as I stared at the tiny, deceased bird, I was ministered to more than any of the rest of the Bible Study.

God used that bird to remind me of His word:
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." -Matthew 10:29-31
That small dead bird, for whom the world takes no notice, had been noted by the Creator and Sustainer of the universe. The death of that sparrow, which had not the least effect on anyone, had the full attention of the Heavenly Father.

And as I looked at that frail, little bird, I thought about my small, inconsequential problems. I thought of how alone I felt in my quandaries. I thought of my concerns which matter to so few other people.

And then I remembered.
I remembered to Whom I belong.
I remembered Whose Hand holds me.
I remembered Who had bought me.
And Who had counted every hair on my head.

I remember Who had counted me as valuable enough to purchase me through the death of His own Son.

And I recalled that because of ALL of that.....I did not need to fear. I did not need to worry. I did not need to fret.

Because I am bought. I am held. I am seen. I am loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment