...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Blind Man's Bluff


“Over here, over here!”

“No, not that way, this way. Come this way!”

I hated being the one in the middle in the childhood game, Blind Man’s Bluff. It seemed impossible to ever catch anyone as they had the advantage of sight and I had no advantage at all. It always felt like I would almost tag someone, and then they would avoid my grasp at just the last moment.

But now I am a grown-up and I don't play blind man's bluff anymore, and yet...


As I was trying to go to sleep several nights ago I was feeling much like the child in the middle of the circle, blindfolded and stumbling, only this time it was not playmates surrounding and mocking me. Rather it was tasks and needs and projects and work undone that danced around me, just out of reach. It was if I could see what needed to be done but could just not figure out how or when to do it all. It was all just beyond my grasp.

And the more I tried to figure it out, the more out of reach, the more difficult, the more impossible it all seemed. So I did the most effective thing I could think of at the time- fret and worry and complain. As I blindly tried to get a hold of something, ...anything..., in the middle of all that cacophony of noise, suddenly there was something else, notable for its stillness and quietness; it was the Voice:

I am right here.

Grab on to Me.

Could it really be that easy?


I grabbed.

Onto the Hand that is sure and steadfast and everlasting.

And peace settled down over me as I lay in my bed. My wakefulness and fretfulness subsided as I drifted off to sleep in the arms of my Savior.

And nothing was figured out.

And nothing was solved.

And nothing was fixed.

And all was right in the arms of my Lord.



Psalm 4:8:

I will lie down and sleep peacefully, for you, Lord, make me safe and secure.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing that. It was good encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! Whew it is just what I needed to hear. I am definitely grabbing at air these days. I LOVE the picture in your blog header. You are so lovely. :) Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa! I sure have been enjoying your blog- it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete