...running the course God sets before us, no matter the cost, no matter the task, to the end, for His glory
.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

When Do You Feel God's Pleasure?

We are watching "Chariots of Fire".

What a movie. The music just does something to me every time I hear it. It makes me want to go run. Fast.

Of course, I can't run fast. I am not exactly an athletic runner. I feel like I am accomplishing something if I break out of a trot. Maybe I should put the "Chariots of Fire" theme song on my ipod, put in my ear buds, and then close my eyes so I can't see what I actually look like running.

The hero of the movie, of course, is Eric Liddell. His brother tells him, "What we want is a muscular Christian." And that is what Eric is. A muscular Christian.

As Eric is trying to decide between running and returning to China his father says, "You can praise the Lord peeling a spud, if you peel it to perfection. Run in God's name, and let the world stand back in wonder."

That is the point.
It is not the WHAT you are doing.
Rather, it is the WHO that you are doing it for!

Which is the point Eric is trying to explain to his sister in the movie. He is trying to communicate to her why he NEEDS to run when she views his running as getting in the way of his ministry. He says, "I believe God made me for a purpose- for China. But He also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure. To give it up would be to hold Him in contempt. To win is to honor Him."

And all that made me wonder:

  • am I a muscular Christian?
  • am I praising the Lord when I am peeling a spud or folding the laundry or making my bed?
  • am I living in the purpose that God made me for?
  • when do I feel His pleasure?

And that is the most important question of all: When do I feel His pleasure?

When do you?

I suggest we both find out and then do THAT with all our heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment